Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Running LEWT

Rikard Edgren's WhereTesting Creativity Grows pointed me to a resource that should be read by anyone trying to create an environment that supports creativity. Nils-Eric Sahlin's article creative environments:
a simple recipe
(translated by Linda Schenck) neatly encapsulates and codifies the principles that I try to use for LEWT - and, indeed, extends them.

To borrow Rikard's summary, they include;
  • generosity
  • a sense of community
  • qualifications
  • cultural diversity
  • trust and tolerance
  • equality
  • curiosity
  • freedom of spirit
  • small scale


It's interesting that the facile quality 'communication' is not included. It's also interesting that qualifications (which don't particularly play their part in LEWT) is more subtle that I had perhaps expected. I'll be considering making some minor changes so that people are more confident in their qualification to be part of the group - although I'll be careful about affecting its diversity. My feeling that LAWST's guru-led approach is problematic is neatly caught by the note on equality.

I'll be posting a link to the article to the LEWT discussion group, and hope to start a conversation. Let me know if you'd like to be part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment